Thursday, June 5, 2014

I'm going on a treasure hunt: Six things to do when faced with a "I don't like myself. I'm not enough. I can't do this" moment

I work with people with disabilities- my job is to assess their skills and abilities and make recommendations for employment and educational opportunities for them...

Sometimes- my job is pretty easy; the persons knows what they like/don't like and I can fairly easily help "figure them out". Other times- not so much; the client has multiple disabilities, they don't have good self-awareness and their job interests are limited.

This is when I have to roll up my sleeves and DIG DEEP. It takes much more TIME, much more THOUGHT, and much more TENACITY. Sometimes a brilliant idea comes to me, sometimes I have to admit that I have hit a brick wall...That I just don't know- I can't think of anything- I THEN tend to become overwhelmed by my inadequacy to help this person and I put pressure on myself- really ridiculous pressure! (Why do I seem to be surprised that I don't have ALL THE ANSWERS?)

I have noticed that EVERY TIME this happens, my inner voice berates me- "I am not cut out for this job, I will never figure this out, etc.." This is what I hear and I begin to feel anxious, inadequate and frustrated.

However- as with EVERYTHING; WITH EVERY STRUGGLE COMES A HIDDEN TREASURE FOR THOSE WHO ARE WILLING TO LOOK-

So these are the TREASURES (the lessons) I am learning (and will continue to learn probably forever!) when faced with a "I am not enough" moment:

1. Don't ignore this moment and pretend it didn't happen: Be BRAVE and FACE IT HEAD ON/ IT BECOMES SMALLER AND WEAKER THIS WAY (when you ignore these moments- you push them down and they begin to wreak havoc- you feel depressed-you get anxious-sometimes you take these feelings out on others...)

2. Look at the moment long enough that you can learn from it but brief enough that it does not consume you: Give yourself boundaries- focus on it, pray about it and reflect and then move on and be expectant of how God will meet you...

3. Thank God for the moment and ask Him to use it for something AMAZING: This gives the moment eternal value and gives you MOTIVATION to face it and deal with it!...

4. Remember that God's strength is MADE PERFECT IN YOUR WEAKNESS: This is my LIFE VERSE- 2nd Corinthians 12:9-"But he said to me, 'My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness.' Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me."

5. Don't let your pride keep you from asking for help: Use your resources and reach out. In isolation this moment can completely distort your perspective-find some good people to remind you of TRUTH.

6. Lay the whole thing out before God: Bring it into the light so that it can be examined through the LENS OF GOD'S GRACE- and NOT THROUGH THE LENS OF CONDEMNATION.

Grace, Grace and more Grace- this is always the language we must speak to the world and especially to ourselves!

So next time you have one of those "I don't like myself. I'm not enough. I can't do this" moment- go on a treasure hunt!


 

No comments: