Tuesday, May 12, 2015

Is it possible to actually THRIVE as a Christian Working Mama?


So I've talked a lot about my messy world as a CWM. I know NOW that I am not alone and that there are ALOT of you out there, living in the mess and needing some help. HELP with WHAT? ANYTHING that will make our lives more in line with Christ and with our PURPOSE in Him.

I am going to go on a journey and I want to invite you...not a journey to find perfection, but to work towards PROGRESS. Although we are loved and okay in our messes and in our struggles, I believe that God is ALWAYS wanting to bring us to a place of "BETTER" in Him. Whatever "BETTER" looks like, that is between you and God. So this is NOT going to be a "HOW TO" or a "YOU NEED TO" kind of journey, but more like a WALKING TOGETHER journey to GROW, CHANGE (as painlessly as possible! ha!), MOVE ON, AND LEARN HOW TO THRIVE journey.

I want to THRIVE, not just SURVIVE! Amen? What does it even mean to THRIVE. Honestly to me, it sounds unattainable in this season of my life. It sounds like a word that would be thrown around at a Motivational speech where I would just be staring into space thinking about all of the UNDONE and MESSY and CHAOTIC corners of my life...

Thriving is for people who run everyday, have maids who keep their houses clean, get up at 5am to read the Bible, never yell at their kids, always serve their husbands with joy and professionally meet all of their goals. Basically I have always equated THRIVING with a FIVE STAR lifestyle... You???

But God...Did you know that God promises YOU (yes-YOU, busy Mama, teleworking in your pajama shirt and old jean shorts, needing a shower, laundry swirling and whirling in the background, baseball gear everywhere, ninja turtle lego starting at you, sitting in the house with the broken Air-Conditioner, the messy table, you with the bitten down nails, the stains on the carpet, the unfinished window- wait....you look JUST LIKE ME!...right this moment...ha!...)...but did you know that you CAN live an ABUNDANT life in Him.

Abundance does not equal wealth, perfection, and achievement. Let's get that straight first and foremost. Abundance to me, HAS TO START in the HEART and when the HEART is settled in the ABUNDANT LOVE of Jesus, it is ready to take a look, dive deeper, and do some work on the nitty-gritty details of life, that honestly- may need to be re-assessed to get OUT of SURVIVAL mode and into THRIVING mode.

So, I am at this place right now. Settling with Jesus in my heart, knowing He is enough and ready to work on ME. I'm scared because I tend to give up too quickly when faced with challenges that stretch me- but I want to grow. I have been blessed to connect with a Life Coach- I think the idea of a Life Coach is awesome- who doesn't need a COACH? I think of the Holy Spirit as being our number one Life Coach and then God gives the gift of encouragement, perspective and guidance to some of His people and uses them to help some of his other people who are feeling a bit OVERWHELMED.

So- I am going to be blogging about my journey through a program called Thrive by Teri Johnson from Keeping it Personal. I want to share with all of you what I am learning and reflect on how I am changing. I need help, can I get an Amen? We ALL NEED HELP. RIGHT?! Right now I am asking for help from someone who has been through a process that has helped her grow and THRIVE.

This week we are thinking about what we would like to change, what we have on our plates, how we are taking care of ourselves and our needs, and looking deeper into our purpose. These are the things I am reflecting on this week as I do my first module. I am going to share with all of you my thoughts on the first word- CHANGE. What I want to see change...

MORE LAUGHTER- LESS WORRY; LEARN TO BE MORE LIGHT-HEARTED

BE MORE CONSISTENT IN MY RELATIONSHIP WITH GOD/SPEND MORE TIME IN THE WORD.

DEEPEN MY RELATIONSHIP WITH MY HUSBAND; SPEND MORE TIME WITH HIM, ENJOYING HIM

BE MORE INTENTIONAL WITH HELPING MY CHILDREN GROW IN THEIR FAITH

BECOME MORE PHYSICALLY ACTIVE AND STOP EMOTIONAL EATING TO DEAL WITH STRESS

REDUCE DEBT

CONSISTENTLY TITHE

MAKE TIME FOR GIRLFRIENDS ON A REGULAR BASIS
DE-CLUTTER AND CREATE MORE ORGANIZATION IN MY HOME

SIMPLIFY MY WORK /MAINTAIN FOCUS WHILE AT WORK SO I AM NOT BRINGING IT HOME

Anyone else want to share? Feel free to comment on what you would like to change, I KNOW change is a super-duper scary word and I usually avoid it like the PLAGUE; however- not this time. I think I am ready, will you join me? Will you be brave enough to say I want_____ to change and I know I can change_____ with God's help. I can THRIVE as a Christian Working Mama! Who is with me?

Lots of love,
Liz

5 comments:

Christina said...

After the second morning in a row of oversleeping and being late to work (I have a 4-month old and am sleep deprived), I read your blog post this morning. You hit the nail on the head. So many times I feel like I'm just surviving with all of the juggling that takes place. The goals you listed are exactly what I want too!

Jhinezka Watson said...

This really ministered to me this morning, that I had to share it with several other mom friends of mine in hopes that it touches them as well.

I am too, tired of just Surviving and not Thriving! My number one change is becoming more intimate with God and that will lead me to be more intimate with my husband and my children.

I want to encourage you that I am with you on this journey and will be looking forward to more post like these.

THANK YOU for vulnerability, authenticity in unveiling who you are. It is refreshing and inspiring.

Elizabeth Jones said...

Christina- bless your heart! Life with a 4-month old IS a lot about survival my dear. You just take care of that baby and yourself. I know it is easier said than done. I will keep you updated on any and all tips I learn to help you feel like you can truly THRIVE. Praying for you too!

Elizabeth Jones said...

Jhinezka- I am so glad you felt encouraged by the post. Thank you for sharing it as well! I think you are SO smart to make intimacy with God first and foremost- seek first His Kingdome and ALL THESE THINGS will be added! God Bless!

JLong said...

Your list could me my list! I am so thankful that you shared this!