Wednesday, May 20, 2015

Taking the Time to Define My Purpose...

So...I am now processing Module 2 in the Thrive course and it is really awesome work.

First of all, just the process of taking the time to think about myself, what I need, what I love to do, what steals my joy and writing it down, looking at it and processing it- is LIKE BREATHING IN A BIG GULP OF FRESH AIR after breathing in the stink and pollution of THE TRY HARD LIFE.

When was the last time you intentionally took time to reflect on yourself; your needs, your feelings, your struggles, your desires? Because truly, and I mean this with all of my heart and because I KNOW that it might be hard for you to remember this but:

YOU ARE EXTREMELY IMPORTANT! 
 
Your kids, your husband, your job, your home...they NEED you, I GET IT, believe me?!

BUT.YOU.NEED.YOU. as well.
You HAVE GOT to think about your self in order to be able to THRIVE.

In this Module we are asked to look at the Hats we are wearing, we are asked to organize them, ditch some of them and add new ones- ALL related to our thoughts from Module one with regards to what our purpose is, what we love, etc...

It is amazing to think about all of the Hats that we wear as Moms, Women, Employee's, huh? It is ALOT, but the amazing thing is that- we are not necessarily built for ALL of the hats that we wear, sometimes we put on hats that we do not need to be wearing, hats that belong to other people, hats that no one asked us to wear and hats that just bring us down- for some people this involves activities that we have signed up for that we just don't need to keep doing, responsibilities we have taken on than someone else really needs to do, etc. 

I found that FOR ME- THESE "HATS" ARE not as specific but more of some overarching roles that I play that HAVE GOT TO BE DITCHED- "NEED-MEETER" AND "PEOPLE-PLEASER".

These TWO HATS cause ALOT of turmoil for me because I LET THEM CONTROL HOW I SPEND MY TIME AND WHERE I INVEST MY EMOTIONS LEAVING ME DRAINED, RESENTFUL AND FRUSTRATED.

On the flip side, we also have hats that are extraordinarily lovely, fit us perfectly, enhance our beauty as Jesus girls and bring out the best in us!
They bring us LIFE and JOY and PURPOSE.

FOR ME- MY FAVORITE HATS ARE "RELATIONSHIP BUILDER, SUPPORTER AND ENCOURAGER."
Anytime I am involved with these Hats firmly in place- I have JOY and PURPOSE.

LASTLY there are hats we just HAVE to wear due to our responsibilities in LIFE; laundry folder, driver to sports activities, bill organizer, etc...
These hats are part of my life, but unless I am PEOPLE PLEASING AND NEED-MEETING, they don't take AWAY from my joy as I do them UNTO THE LORD AND FOR HIS GLORY and as I learn to delegate and share them with those God has placed in my life.

One thing I noticed...the majority of my Hats are "others"- focused and based on my FAVORITE HATS OF Relationship Building, Supporter, and Encourager, which is FINE. BUT- I do not take enough time to focus these things on MYSELF to be a "Self-Builder, Supporter and Encourager". One of the things that Teri Johnson encourages us to do is to put our SELF as one of the HATS that we wear.
At first- this was puzzling to me, but now it is VITAL. TOTALLY VITAL LADIES!

So... I actually started off with 33 hats and I was TOTALLY OVERWHELMED.
I scaled it down to 26 and then I REALLY GOT PANICKY.
SO I took a DEEP BREATHE and tried again and LADIES...

I NARROWED IT DOWN TO NINE AND AGAIN I TOOK A BIG BREATHE OF FRESH AIR AND RELIEF.

I will share them with you all:

1. DAUGHTER OF THE KING
2. SELF-BUILDER, SUPPORTER AND ENCOURAGER
3. SUPPORTIVE AND FUN WIFE
4. SUPPORTIVE AND FUN MOM
5. FAITHFUL FRIEND
6. HOME ORGANIZER AND SUPPORTER
7. MINISTRY LEADER, SUPPORTER AND ENCOURAGER
8. TRANSPARENT AND REAL BLOGGER/WRITER
9. ADVOCATE FOR PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES

I cannot WAIT for the next module when we will be clarifying even more with these Hats and with our purpose.  It is SO FUN to share with all of you this journey I am on.

God Bless!

Liz

No comments: