Tuesday, August 25, 2015

Keep Calm and Carry On

 
By Lisa Brown


 Standing in front of me is stacked one task on top of another task. 
How on earth did that happen?..."
And I don’t know where to start? 
I could just start somewhere, I guess...? 
But where?
I have absolutely no energy or willpower to pick apart these daunting to-do’s! 
I feel too overwhelmed to make a plan.  
Worse of all, physically my body is working against me, instead of for me.
Before me stands a mountain and I need divine intervention to rescue me. 
Come Jesus quickly!
I’m afraid that I’m going to miss out on something if I don’t get out of this pit.
Right now all I see are a list of things to do.
I want to quit.” 
-Quote From a Tired and Anxious Mom

Do you ever go to bed at night-wondering when life will ever slowdown?
And don’t you sometimes just get FED UP with to-do-lists? 
They are Never.Ending. 

Do you forget where your to-do-list is because you’re too tired to remember where you put it? 
...and then months later when you are cleaning out your purse you find at least five old unchecked lists? 
This happened to me one time when I was sitting on the toilet going through my purse and hiding from my kids (ha!)

When I’m faced with life transitions I get like this. 
It happened this year when summer vacation was coming to an end and homeschooling was about to begin. 
It was like shifting gears without oil.  
Pretty creaky and cranky.
 
I don’t like feeling like life is in control of me. 
I like taking charge of my life. 
So I went out on a coffee date with God and I asked Him to calm my heart down.

I read this verse from Proverbs 16:3
Commit your works to the Lord, and your thoughts will be established.”
God helped me focus  after I gave Him my to-do-list and anxieties. 
Your will be done God.  Not my will but yours!

The coolest thing about God is that whenever I’m in a freak out mode, He gently reminds me that He didn’t send me out to do His will on my own. 
He will send me His helper the Holy Spirit. 
For He is the one who will direct my paths and speak truth to me. 
 
Today I Have a List of Five Things
That You and I Can do to Keep Ourselves Calm.
1.       Take care of yourself.  It’s tempting to sacrifice a good night of sleep or a healthy meal when we are trying to catch up.   We are no good to ourselves or anybody else when we are sick, tired, and grumpy.  What you don’t get done today can wait until tomorrow.  And remember some things you will never catch up on.  Like laundry and dirty dishes.   The sooner you accept it the better off you will be.  Seriously, at the end of the day, God doesn’t care if we made our bed or not.  But, He does care how we feel before we close our eyes to go to sleep. 
 
2.       Understand your reasons and motivations for every little thing you plan.  Do you know why you do what you do? Are your plans God’s or are they selfish plans created by your sinful flesh?   Take time to reflect on your life goals for you and your family.  And then take care of those things first that matter the most.  Live life as if there is no tomorrow.  Don’t sweat the small stuff.  Don’t cry over spilled milk. 
 
3.       Meditate day and night on all the good that God does for you.  Work through trials by praising Him.  Give thanks for every task accomplished, no matter how small it is.  Celebrate every goal that is met with joy.  Don’t ever forget the mess that God delivered you from.

"I will bless the Lord at all times;
His praise shall continually be in my mouth.
My soul shall make its boast in the Lord;
The humble shall hear of it and be glad.
Oh, magnify the Lord with me,
And let us exalt His name together."
Psalm 34:1-3
 
4.       Remind yourself daily that what you do or don’t do doesn’t define you.  Take time out daily and find out what God has to say about you.
 
5.       Keep adjusting plans, schedule, and routines until you and your family are all dancing together to the same beat.  And remember some days are going to be easier than others.  Be sensitive to each person’s individual needs and temperaments.  Be watchful and pray often for God to show you how to shepherd your flock.  Watch out for the wolf. 

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things
that I said to you. Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you.

Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid."
John 14:26-27
Are you a tired and anxious Mom?  
What are some things you can do or have done that has helped you work through the never ending, daunting tasks?  
What would you add to this list?
 















To Learn More About Me And To Connect

Connect With Me On Facebook –
Christian Mom Blog Support Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/1526913197549503/
God Calm My Anxious Heart Group https://www.facebook.com/groups/719840771476308/

You Can Find Me On Pinterest

Two out of many Blog Posts I Have Written About Parenting: