Thursday, September 10, 2015

Two Things Your can do to Function Better TODAY


 
By: Cort Hoek

1. Rest in God:
Matthew 11:28:  "Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest."

There are many days I am weary and burdened with all that is going on in my world-
It is hard to watch the world crumbling around the people you love especially when you have no control over the situation. 

...I have a close friend whose marriage is falling apart, another close friend whose parent is dying, and then I have a few friends making poor choices in their relationships. 

...In my personal life-I am trying to manage a new work position while being a mom of a child who seems to always get sick and the list can go on and on. 
Being a young working mom-

...there are times I feel like a supermom where I get the cards of encouragement written off, the meals made and the house cleaned...
...then, more often than not, there are times I feel like a super failure...

...I made a mistake at work or didn’t get that meal made to the mom of the sick child in my Sunday School class and trust me this list can go on and on too...

It is in these moments I need to remember Matthew 11:28 and go curl up on the couch with my Bible to get the rest I truly need.

I am so thankful I have a God who wants to take these burdens from me and lighten my load so I can function better. 

The more you depend on God the better you function.  It amazes me how taking some time to depend on God and give him my burdens really refreshes me.  If you feel like the world is crumbling around you please don’t run yourself weary, lean on Him for the rest you need.

2. Reach Out...
For a few years now my husband and I have tried to get involved in our community to get to know our neighbors. We haven’t really succeeded in building strong relationships with those in the community but we have gotten to know quite a few people. 

We believe it is very important to be involved in your community and shine for Christ because if you don’t know your neighbors or your co-workers- then you won’t know how to help them... when they lose their job... or are going through a hard time, etc...  

We are so engrossed in our own lives and schedules that we sometimes overlook the needs that are right in front of us.

I want to encourage you- if you need to function better-to feel better- to LIVE better-step outside your driveway or cubicle at work and get to know those around you.

You don’t need to invite them to the revival at church or a Bible Study but what you do need to do is build a relationship with them and show them Christ’s love through your life.

Maybe it is having a coffee social or starting a walking group or a scrapbooking club. 
The list of things you can do to connect with those in your neighborhood or at work can be long.

I want to share three examples some people I know have done to reach outside their four walls:
  • A good friend of mine has a neighbor with four kids.  When she has too many leftovers she goes over to the house next door and offers them to the family. She says she can’t believe how many times the kids have said, “Mom how did she know we need food?”
The mother has responded that, “She talks to God that’s how she knows.”
  • My mother recently had a Get Acquainted Breakfast with her neighbors.  Many of the women are new on the block and did not know each other.
They loved the breakfast so much they started making plans for a Christmas Party and Block Party.
  • Last, Mary Whelchel- from The Christian Working Woman has talked about a friend of hers that invited co-workers to go out to lunch with her. She would ask a different one each week.
Through this she was able to get to know them-really know them and connect with them. Turns out, they were different than she thought. Funny how our natural judgments about people are often so faulty. 

What a great opportunity we have before us to shine bright to those who are hurting in our workplace and neighborhood. 
Rest in God and Reach Out to Others- two ways to function better!

I’d love to hear any ideas on how you rest when feeling overwhelmed AND on anything you have done at work or at home to get to know those outside your four walls!

Courtney Hoek lives just outside of Chicago in the western suburbs with her wonderful husband and amazing daughters.  She works for The Christian Working Woman and loves her job!  Her work experience ranges from TV and Radio to working for a University.  Working for a non-profit has been a wonderful experience and she loves that her job helps encourage so many people.

No comments: